o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Permission to engage...

andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

02-21-2013

I plan on getting some Club Racers for my next Laguna visit for sure, but I love the HC+800. After testing them out hard at Laguna they seem to erode quickly though when at really high temps, they were still stopping the car just fine at high temps, but easy to tell they were getting a bit to hot. Club Racers should much happier at those temps but won't work well on the cold touge runs where lots of warm up isn't always possible. Club Racers are pretty well priced compared to other track pads, especially with the local bay area hookup!

Speaking of brakes, just re-upped my rear pads, and changed to Project µ G-four 335 brake fluid. Much more expensive for 1L compared to ATE, but I expect to get much more life out of it and definitely don't expect to have any issues with it boiling.

Could have gotten a liiittle bit more out of these rear pads, but they served me well, so was time to put them into retirement.

I also had the spark plugs changed since I was right around 75k miles.

Joey was installing some HKS coilovers on his recently acquired EK9 CTR replica. :thumbup:

o_O S2000 | Mark I Stage II...

That’s thirty minutes away. I’ll be there in ten.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

03-10-2013

Driving impressions update!

I was lucky enough to spend some time driving some other S2000s this weekend back to back with my own, and wanted to share my impressions. I drove all of the cars on the same stretch of mountain road that I am very familiar with. Tight to mid-speed corners, lots of cambered corners, good stuff. Suspension differences are the focus here.

First is the white 06 AP2 with the full CR/Type S setup. CR springs/dampers, sway bars, steering rack stiffener, 215/255 tires (Dunlop ZII) on CR wheels, OEM CR alignment specs, etc.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/995655- ... ld-thread/

The CR dampers are very nice and definitely no issues at all with imperfections in the road. The spring rates definitely don't feel dramatically stiffer but a nice noticeable decrease in dive under braking and roll with turn in response increased slightly as well. One thing I definitely don't understand with the CR setup is why the front spring rate bias was increased while only increasing the width of the rear tire. I felt the balance is definitely shifted more towards understeer compared to my stock 06 AP2 with 225F/255R setup (RE-11). It isn't a drastic shift but definitely noticeable coming from my own car with a bit more neutral setup. If I did a CR suspension setup I would want to have the same spring rate in the rear that is in the front. Overall though the increase in response is excellent and is a great way to make the S2000 a bit easier to drive at the limit. In many circumstances it might be easier to drive faster as well depending on your driving style. This car also had diff mount collars installed, I was focusing more on other things while driving, but definitely a nice increase in drivetrain response as well. Aero effect was negligible on the section of road I was driving the car on but overall a great setup with the only negative being the understeer tendency for my own driving style.

Next was an S2000 I have driven before but not since getting my S2000.

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1004917 ... ellow-ap2/

This car has CR suspension setup, front x-brace, front cusco subframe brace, front strut tower bar, diff mount collars, 225/255 Federal RSR tires, OEM CR alignment specs, intake, header, exhaust, etc. Also a Recaro Pole Position so very easy to tell what the car is doing through corners. Another thing to note is that this car also has a rear subwoofer that definitely adds a bit of weight in the trunk of the car.

The response from all of the bracing is fantastic. Probably a small change for most people, but if you spend any decent amount of time driving cars quickly it is very noticeable. Chassis bracing is definitely the first plan of attack when I start modifying my own car. While the increase in front spring rate was definitely still noticeable in this car, I noticed less of a bias towards understeer than I did on the GPW setup with OEM tire sizes. I would guess the 225/255 is the biggest factor here. Again the bracing is what made the largest impression on me though. Definitely feels like the springs and dampers are able to work more effectively, even with the increase in spring rate the car seemed to handle bumps much more effectively than mine. This is huge for driving on the mountains, there will be nice bumps and imperfections on almost any mountain road. Better use of the suspension translates to better use of the tires and better feedback to the driver. Great setup.

Next I did a car swap with a monster...

Another good friend of mine who is up at the top of my greatest drivers list asked if I wanted to trade cars with him for a few runs up and down. His car being a highly tuned Audi S4 with the works, I said yes without much hesitation. The twin turbo V6 makes around 400 HP, the car rides on an incredible Ohlins remote reservoir damper setup with 800lb/in F and 1000lb/in R springs, 265 tires all around on forged Work 18x9.5 wheels, Alcon 6 pot front calipers, floating disks, and many other things. The car is about as perfect as a Audi S4 can possibly be out on the mountains.

First the owner of the Audi (James) hopped in my car (I have been driving with him for quite sometime, if I owned a Ferrari I would let him take it out drifting in the rain) and I was really excited to ride passenger in my own car with another great driver at the controls. I definitely recommend doing the same whenever you can, find a driver that you believe is better than you, and see what they do in your own car that you are very familiar with. James also spends quite a lot of time in a bone stock 91 Miata that he owns (when it is raining the Miata comes out to slide in the rain) so he is very familiar with driving lightweight FR cars. He was pretty impressed with how much cornering speed the S2000 can manage at first, obviously one of the strongest points of the car. He was taking it relatively easy and spending most of his time seeing how the car behaved through corner entry and exit. Me encouraging him to enter corners faster and faster. He had a blast driving my car, it is great to ride with someone who has a driving style very similar to your own, I was never once afraid for the well-being of myself or my car even with him experimenting with how the car would slide through lower speed corners. Definitely opened up my eyes a bit in how I can improve my low speed corner entry to maintain more momentum.

Next I hopped in the Audi with James as passenger. It took me quite a bit of time to adjust to the car. Much longer shift throw, much more heavily assisted brake pedal, pedal spacing differences, and lots and lots of power. It is amazing how entirely different this car is from the S2000, but still just as much fun. While I never got close to the potential of the car it was fantastic to slowly get acquainted with it and get faster and faster. Once I was used to the braking power and pedal spacing the real fun began. This was my first time driving a powerful AWD car in the mountains but with a good driver explaining the behavior of the car it was easy to pickup. Throttle control was extremely important, very easy to control the rear end with the throttle but in a different way than the S2000. Lifting off the throttle quickly, the rear end would start to come around like it would in a well setup FF car (which I have experience driving), but if you are smooth with all your inputs and lift off the throttle appropriately the car just grips through the corner and then launches out of the exit. Smooth braking inputs transitioning smoothly back to partial throttle mid-corner after tossing it into a corner off throttle, and a nice transition to full throttle and hang on for dear life once at full boost. There was no noticeable lag, even when just at partial throttle the difference in power was incredible. The weight is definitely noticeable but never in a way I saw as a negative really. If driven incorrectly the car could definitely be scary, but once you get the hang of it nothing but uncontrollable joy. The suspension setup is glorious. The spring rates seem to be a perfect match for the weight and balance of the car, and really didn't feel any more jarring while driving normally than the stock S2000 setup due to the incredible dampers. I could go on and on about this car but I will stop here for now. I imagine as I start modifying my car we will be doing more of these car swaps in the future, so I will definitely post back with more impressions and hopefully some videos in the future!

Then at last back into my own car. I thought I was ruined forever after driving the Audi, but not at all. The S4 was fun in an entirely different way compared to the S2000, and the S2000 cornering speed is just so damn high even when completely stock. Throughout the entire night of driving I felt a nice increase in brake feel after switching to the Project µ fluid. It is possible it is due to a better bleeding this time around, but the bleeding was done using the same method as with the ATE. I am really excited to use this fluid at my next track day to see if it will handle the temps. I had wore away my nice transfer layer on my rotors over the last week and that same night with the lower speed stuff we were doing and the cold ambient temps, so I actually generated a bit of judder from pad material transferring to the rotor once the pads finally got the chance to warm up from completely cold on the final dowhnill run. This was quickly resolved with some simply freeway cruising and a mini bed-in cycle on my way home though. Couldn't be happier with my current brake pad and fluid setup at the moment for the mountains.

I definitely plan on doing this again if possible with these cars and drivers. It would have been better to drive both cars, and then go for ride alongs with the owners driving to see how they drive it at the limit, so that will be the plan for next time.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

03-29-2013

Whenever my wheels aren't gunmetal from brake dust, I make sure to snap a few photos.

Drop top tree top.

also..

Autonomous Touge Monster. Google self-driving car learning the touge. Faster than many of the people out driving the mountains after midnight. :LOL: (I wish I was kidding...) I did my best to teach his little LiDAR brain the best lines down hill.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

04-08-2013

Got the original photo my friend snapped at Laguna awhile back that I really like so have to post it up. :photo:

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

04-13-2013

I made a new friend last night!

It is this kind of thing that makes me love driving the winding mountain roads more and more. Watching this guy running along in front of me was absolutely incredible. I have never seen one in the wild and I got to see one up close at full sprint while doing my favorite activity! :)

After coming around the left hand corner I had that moment of, "oh I might hit this!", then, "nope, should be ok", then, "holy crap that is a mountain lion!", then "oh my god that thing is huge, please don't hurt me mountain lion", then "THIS IS AWESOME, LOOK AT THAT AWESOME MOUNTAIN LION!!"

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

04-17-2013

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A:

Bridgestone RE-11A freshly mounted this time around after a great stint with the RE-11. I will try to post up a nice thorough review of the RE-11 soon, but they were fantastic until the bitter end. Should be very interesting to try out the new compound. Always such a good feeling driving with brand new tires!

Got a chance to put the RE-11A through their paces over the past week. In short I feel they provide all the great characteristics of the RE-11 plus more overall grip, and a much better price.

Comfort/Noise
General comfort and road noise level is the same as RE-11. Really no surprise as it is just the compound that has changed, not the tread pattern.
The very first thing I noticed is that they definitely make a little more noise at the limit than the RE-11, this could be an effect of the tires still being scrubbed in, but if the compound has changed it would make sense for this to change as well. Nothing crazy, but definitely a bit more squeal. This seems to have gotten less noticeable as the tires have been scrubbed in more.

Grip
These things really came alive after being put through a solid couple of runs! I put my RE-11's through a pretty consistent workout basically every single weekend, so I have a pretty good understanding of what sort of corner speeds I could manage on a few long continuous radius corners on a road I frequently drive. The RE-11A provides enough additional grip for me to notice myself taking these corners quicker and maintaining more speed through to corner exit as well as more traction on corner exit. I specifically noticed a bit more stability in higher speed corners as well. One corner in particular I would normally lift for around the top of 4th I can now take flat out after shifting into 5th. (At uhmm, cruising speeds of course :suspect:) I can't wait to see what the car will do through the high speed turn 8 at Thunderhill and turn 4, 6, and 9 at Laguna Seca. I should note, the grip improvement isn't gargantuan, but absolutely noticeable for someone driving the car at the limit. The wet grip should hopefully be the same great level the RE-11 provided, as the tread pattern is the same.

Feel
Same great feel and linearity as the RE-11, but the RE-11A I am a bit more confident with at high speeds. Nothing to complain about here. Great response at low and high speeds. Always very easy to tell what the tires are doing. Feel is probably the most important factor for me in a tire. I don't have a specific style of driving, I tend to just find the limits of the tires, and adjust my driving accordingly to keep the car balanced through a corner. Feel is also what makes driving the most fun, and the RE-11A put a smile on my face rather quickly.

If they have managed to improve the grip, maintain the other good characteristics, and keep the wear rate the same plus the drop in price, this is a damn fine tire. If there is a better all round tire I would be amazed. I still plan on trying out other tires. I hoping the AD08R is priced competitively with the RE-11A, and I would love to burn through a set of ZIIs as well.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

04-28-2013

Girodisc 2-piece floating rotors

Managed to work out a great deal on recently finished Girodisc 2 piece floating rotors designed for stock S2000 front calipers.

I am pretty hard on my brakes. I have a tendency to always try to brake later than the person in front of me and my rotors take a beating. With the amount of driving I do on the mountains, I was starting to get a bit nervous about cracking a rotor out there and having a much larger problem to deal with. It isn't necessarily difficult for me to manage my brakes, but I really just enjoy braking so I started looking into rotor options that might actually make a difference keeping the overall braking package a bit cooler. There are some other 2 piece rotors that will work with OEM calipers, but not many that are even close to the build quality and price of the Girodiscs. Not only that, the replacement ring cost for these rotors are significantly cheaper (and better designed in my opinion) than any other OEM fitment 2 piece rotor available for the S2000.

The Girodisc rotors use a curved direction vane design that should more efficiently pump air from the center of the rotors to the outer edge. I plan on also adding ducting (using the WASP composites ducting kit that is currently in development) to help control rotor temperatures even more. Obviously larger rotors are the best way to manage temperatures, but a 2 piece floating design will help keep the hub from also heating up and retaining that heat.

The quality of the hardware and rotor hat is excellent.

The main reason I decided to give these a try is the rate I have been eating up front rotors. This is the first 2 piece rotor for OEM calipers that I have seen with a price that actually makes any sense compared to standard blank rotors. I am not sure if the official pricing has been finalized by Girodisc, but I am expecting to brake even quite easily compared to buying $100 pairs of blank rotors. Also, I am hoping for slightly less pad wear but that will be a matter of testing them out first.

I am going to try to do my best to take it easy on my current Brembo blanks even though I want to try these beauties out ASAP! :)

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

04-28-201

More parts! WASP Composite brake ducts!

Can't thank Robert enough. The person I was in contact with about these and everyone else with WASP composite who decided to build proper AP2 brake ducts (with a full ducting kit in progress). I will be waiting for the dust shield replacements they are working on before installing these.

If you are interested in these check out this thread: http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/1016204 ... ake-ducts/

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

05-29-2013

Project µ re-up!

Finally managed to get around 5000 miles out of my third set of HC+800 front pads, and looks like my HC+800 rear pads should manage about 10000 miles this time. Front pads are down to the wear indicators (squeal tabs) so I needed to order some replacements. I like to get every little bit out of my pads and I keep a close eye on them so I bend the squeal tabs away once I get down to wear they start squeaking so I can use up the last bit of pad material without any noise. I also decided to get a full set of Project µ Club Racer pads that I plan to use at the track moving forward. Looking forward to testing them out at the end of next month at Thunderhill! I think the HC+800 is perfect for touge, where you need pads that can still take a lot of heat and handle the stress, but also need something that works well cold and isn't too harsh on the rotors, and isn't extremely expensive. The HC+800 are basically half the price of the Club Racers and most other dedicated track pads so they are perfect for my use. I plan on keeping a good log of how many track sessions and on track miles I get out of the Club Racers before they need replacing, should be interesting to see if HC+800/touge or ClubRacer/track lasts longer.

I highly recommend purchasing your brake pads from http://www.speed-freaks.net! Free shipping when you buy a set of pads and I always receive my parts from them extremely quickly. HC+800 front and rear and Club Racer front and rear I started getting most of my parts after meeting Anish locally and asking a lot of questions and getting great recommendations. Many thanks. :tipwink:

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

06-06-2013

Tein SRC Evasive Spec

Let the real parts hoarding for Mark II begin! TEIN SRC Evasive Spec! A good friend of mine was selling his very well put together S2000 and gave me a great deal on his near mint condition SRCs. Recently rebuilt at Evasive with only 1000 miles put on them after that. I was planning on getting the Ohlins DFV or a good SRC setup if I came across one and this was perfect. As I mentioned well back in the beginning of this thread, these won't be going on any time soon, but this thread has officially become the parts hoarding and stock S2000 lap time thread! :)

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

06-12-2013

Coming back from San Francisco again and I felt like a blast through the new tunnel on Hwy 1.

This means I got to do Tunitas Creek uphill, which means glorious 2nd geer hairpins with full visibility that you don't even need to brake for in the S2000 because of how they are linked together. Just accelerate towards them, lift throttle, toss car, apply throttle, slide out of the exit, and repeat 100 times or so.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

06-27-2013

Girodisc 2-piece floating rotors and Project µ Club Racer pads installed:

Rotor'd and Padded up right in time thanks to last minute help from my friend Joey this afternoon all ready for Thunderhill tomorrow. :thumbup:

And of course I had to take the car for a shakedown afterward to bed-in the new pads and rotors and get a feel for the sexy sexy initial bite that the Project µ Club Racer has to offer. :)

Mighty fine looking dark grey/blue transfer layer.

After a short night building up a nice transfer layer on the new rotors with the new pads. I have to say so far so good. The main thing I was looking for tonight was any difference in noise from the rotors, but it seems the retaining springs do their job well after about 3 bed-in cycles and some test runs to get a feel for the new pads. Thunderhill results on all stock S2000 with Club Racer pads coming soon! Initial impressions are very strong! Everything I love about the HC+800 is made even crisper and sharper with the Club Racer.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

07-01-2013

Thunder Thunder Thunderhill!

Here are the few photos I took from the day. I was planning on skipping a session and taking some photos but I realized I had the puncture and had to deal with that. All around a great day even though I had some crappy stuff happen at the end and the relentless heat.

Project µ Club Racers + Girodisc 2-piece rotors = Zero brake dust after 4 sessions :) And I brake like a hooligan. Completely happy with my brakes as is now.

Oh my glob a R32 GT-R in the states at Thunderhill! Gimme!

Oh my right rear dropped 10 psi after my 6th (and final) session. I wonder why that happened?

oh...

These rotors are the truth! Absolutely zero fade and solid feel all day long with Girodisc rotors, Project µ CR, and Project µ brake fluid. I plan on adding stainless lines and front ducting to help get even better feel and longer life, but extremely happy with my brakes today.

This is what happens when you leave a lap timer suction cupped to your windshield all day and take it off. I thought I removed it pretty carefully, but right when the vacuum seal was broken. CRACK. Since I recently had this windshield replaced I may be able to get it replaced again for free. Fingers crossed. Anyone have an idea why this happened? I removed the suction cup pretty slowly, but I did leave it on all day long, but my car was always parked in the shade when not on the track. Maybe I should remove it after each session when it is super hot like that?

I feel very lucky to get some help from the local tire shop in Willows, guy came back to his shop after he closed it just to help me, and wanted to charge his normal rate for a patch (I gave him double).

Video of my fastest laps and other proper shenanigans:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpNoQQVepSE&hd=1

June 28th, 2013
Track name: Thunderhill
Track configuration: ccw w/bypass
Track location: Willows, CA
Lap time: 2:12.058 Qstarz LT6000 was the timing device (transponder matched the time)
Estimated total vehicle weight with driver: 2950 lbs (w/ driver)
Tire size and model: 225/45/17 F 255/40/17 R Bridgestone RE-11A on OEM AP2 wheels
Estimated ambient temperature: 104+F
Notes: Very difficult to get more than 2 quick laps with the heat. 2:10 is definitely possible with this car.
Mods: OEM 06 AP2 alignment F: -0.5 R: -1.5 camber. All stock except Project µ Club Racer brake pads, Project µ brake fluid, Girodisc OEM sized brake rotors in front.

Track day hosted by CityTech Autobody, who organized a great time attack event with free transponders. I was able to place 4th in the S2000 cup with my time against other modified S2000s. By far the fastest stock S2000 of the day!

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

07-19-2013

Spoon Rigid Collars

Spoon Rigid Collars and new Reservoir Covers. Pretty excited to see if the feel of the car is improved with the rigid collars. Plan on having them installed asap along with a fresh alignment so I can compare them directly to how the car was setup before. If anything should work well to keep the subframe properly aligned through all the rough bits in the mountains and if I have an off at the track.

Oh also some new wheel caps. I seem to put a lot of heat into the front wheels and the caps lose their nice solid mount to the wheel and I end up losing one out on the mountains.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

08-01-2013

So.. I finally had an encounter with a deer last weekend. Luckily for me the damage to my car is extremely minimal considering I hit the deer at 50mph and punted it about 15-20 feet up into the air and into the mountain wall. The deer was still in the air as the gif below ends O_O. I bobbed expecting the deer to weave, but at the last minute it decided to also bob so I turned back into it and hit it head on right at the nose of the car. I watched it fly straight up into the air over me and to the left and into the mountain wall on the other side of the road. You can see it launch straight up in the gif. It didn't even touch the headlight or fender or windshield. Still very unfortunate as I was just cruising along on my way home. And more unfortunate for the deer :( Somehow it managed to hobble away but I am pretty sure that it was Bambi's mom..

Incredibly it managed to only slightly damage the front edge of the hood, with the bumper not any more dinged up than it ever was. I honestly don't understand how it is possible that more damage wasn't done.

It seems like I will only need to get the hood fixed and possibly the front bumper if it has been pushed down as well. Luckily it is all completely cosmetic. I will be stopping by the body shop tomorrow morning hopefully to have them take a look and start talking to insurance after that. Thoughts of Amuse R1 front bumper are going through my head.. hmm....

Return to “Projects”