o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Permission to engage...

andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Evo SS GoPro gimbal

Got a 3-axis gimbal recently to mount inside the car. Works quite well, and the thing that really sold me on it is being able to just reach back and triple press a button to have it rotate around 180 to capture what is behind me. I am often trading lead and follow back and forth with friends so this is a great way to deal with that.

It is mounted on the shorter Modifry camera mount that can easily be clipped on to the main Modfry wind screen mount.

I am using this model - https://www.evogimbals.com/products/evo ... o5-cameras
o_O S2000 | Mark I Stage II...

That’s thirty minutes away. I’ll be there in ten.

MikeRT4
7000rpm
Great Britain

You just need the Toda ITBs and the car will be complete ;).
Mike R
Sarcasm is just a free service I provide.

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right :lol: .

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

MikeRT4 wrote:You just need the Toda ITBs and the car will be complete ;).
I wish that could be on the cards. Not really anyway to run them in CA that isn't completely ridiculous. And more importantly. No way to run TODA ITBs with 06+ DBW car.

MikeRT4
7000rpm
Great Britain

Where there is a will, there is always a way ;).
Mike R

Nordschleife, there's only two barriers to worry about - the ones on the left and the ones on the right :lol: .

Soviet
7000rpm
United States of America

I hope the gimbal means more on and off track footage. It seems you've been dormant for quite a while now.

Cpt. Spock
7000rpm
United States of America

Soviet wrote:I hope the gimbal means more on and off track footage. It seems you've been dormant for quite a while now.
^^THIS^^

MikeRT4
7000rpm
Great Britain

I saw that you were looking to updating your brake ducts to suit the Amuse front bumper, but it doesn't look as though you progressed any further?

I found these for you ;).
https://3c-lab.com.au/products/3c-lab-s ... rake-ducts
Mike R

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

MikeRT4 wrote:I saw that you were looking to updating your brake ducts to suit the Amuse front bumper, but it doesn't look as though you progressed any further?

I found these for you ;).
https://3c-lab.com.au/products/3c-lab-s ... rake-ducts
I have mainly delayed doing brake ducts because it just hasn't really been necessary. It will give me some more rotor/pad life for sure, but doesn't currently really require it. Will be nice to have at some point though. I have a good idea in mind for it when I end up doing it.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Has still been raining off and on in the bay area, with many of my favorite roads closed due to landslides.

So.. let's install someone parts instead!

ASM rear bumper + ASM GT-09 trunk installed

To start, I made some high density neoprene inserts for the trunk to use when I am not using the wing. I plan on doing another type of insert that I could paint to match the trunk at some point. The neoprene works well to prevent wanter from getting in though. Not perfectly trimmed in this photo but you get the idea.

I also got the rubber stoppers for the trunk in from Honda.

So the next step is to get it all installed so I can take it to get painted.

JDM rear bumper support installed.

Along with the ASM rear tow hook.

And JDM rear license plate frame.

Bumper roughly fitted to the car and secured so it can be driven to get painted. Side grill mesh pieces removed for easier access to install with the left one trimmed to fit around the tow hook.

Trunk is very easy to install so put that on as well. And of course had to mount the wing to see how it will look.

Pulled the wing back off, and the next evening drove the car down to LA to drop off at Signature Autobody who will be doing the paint work on the trunk, duckbill, bumper, Spoon mirrors and wing.

Trunk will be body color on the outer shell, duckbill will be body color with carbon trailing edge exposed (similar to bouford's blue car), bumper will be body color obviously, and Spoon mirrors will be body color. The wing, I was thinking I would just leave dry carbon, but was convinced once I got down here it would be a good idea to clear coat it just to seal and protect it to avoid any discoloration. So shipped that to Signature to clear coat that as well. I am going for a glossy clear coat on the wing to match the shiny black hardtop and other shiny carbon bits on the car. Once I saw the first layer of clear on the duckbill I was convinced.

The car should be in the shop for about 2 weeks. Lawrence at Signature is amazing and has been sending me updates every day on the car. It know it seems ridiculous to drive 5-6 hrs for a body shop to work on the car, but having a shop that knows exactly how to deal with the parts you are providing makes a lot of difference. I would rather pay travel cost and have the parts in the hands of people I can trust to do it right the first time, with actual experience with other similar parts. Can't wait to see everything finished! I will of course take some real photos of everything once it is all finished.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Car is still in the body shop, and making good progress each day. They dialed in the paint match to something they are happy with so should have the car back before the end of the month it looks like. 

In the meantime, my friend Mark recently finished a nice little iOS Messages sticker pack called Stickershfit (http://stickershift.com). It is free to download, but you can unlock all the rest of the sticker pack using one of these codes (first come first serve):

4XXW397P66XW
A99WWAEH79ET
​​​​​​​K9T76MFEA437

BlacktraxPerformance
7000rpm
United States of America

andrewhake wrote:Car is still in the body shop, and making good progress each day. They dialed in the paint match to something they are happy with so should have the car back before the end of the month it looks like. 

In the meantime, my friend Mark recently finished a nice little iOS Messages sticker pack called Stickershfit (http://stickershift.com). It is free to download, but you can unlock all the rest of the sticker pack using one of these codes (first come first serve):

4XXW397P66XW
A99WWAEH79ET
​​​​​​​K9T76MFEA437

Watching your build progress and constant level up! Mark made some sick iOS stickers!

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

BlacktraxPerformance wrote:
andrewhake wrote:Car is still in the body shop, and making good progress each day. They dialed in the paint match to something they are happy with so should have the car back before the end of the month it looks like. 

4XXW397P66XW
A99WWAEH79ET
​​​​​​​K9T76MFEA437

Watching your build progress and constant level up! Mark made some sick iOS stickers!
Thanks for all the support! Car would definitely never be what it is without all the work from BlackTrax!

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

ASM parts paint progress

I decided to go with Signature Autobody in L.A. to do the paintwork on my ASM GT-09 trunk and rear bumper, and Spoon mirrors since they are very experienced with ASM dry carbon parts, the necessary modifications for the rear bumper, as well as the Spoon mirrors. In the end the drive down to L.A. and travel to and from is well worth the cost to have the work done right the first time, not to mention that the communication from Signature is absolutely fantastic. Regular updates and quick responses, as well as details discussion of the processes in person and over the phone. The process is nearly finished at this point and I should be returning to L.A. to pick up the car this week. Here are some photos from the process.

Modifications are needed on my particular AP2 to fit the ASM 04 rear bumper. The AP1 and AP2s in Japan used the same lower mounting brackets it seems while the North American AP2s used longer ones for whatever reason, so the brackets were shortened and the rear body was painted black so you won't see silver when looking in through the openings in the rear bumper.

First stage for the duckbill was clear.

I decided to have the wing cleared as well after some deliberation, the extra protection the clear coat provides is worth it in my opinion, and the shiny carbon look will better match the rest of the parts not he car and the shiny black hardtop.

A lot of time was spent on the paint match, my car has over 100,000 miles so not as simple as just using the paint code to get a nice match. They did a great job matching the paint to the various existing panels on the car. No blending was done.

With the paint match finished they were able to finish painting the duckbill to the spec I wanted. I was sent a ton of photos and video and sent back adjustments and discussed over the phone many times what I wanted to do with the duckbill, and am very happy with the way it turned out. The trailing edge was left as carbon, with the rest of the duckbill painted silver. Two stages of clear were done with sanding in between to minimize the edge between the paint and the carbon.

The mirrors were painted shortly after.

All the ASM stuff was fit to the car to show me how everything looked. They found that the tolerances on the GT-09 were so tight that the clear on the wing element mounts (the part of the wing element that attaches to the wing stands) had to be removed to maintain a proper fit. So that is the one element of the wing that remains in the satin dry carbon finish.

The mirrors still need to be mounted, which should happen early next week and the car should be all finished up shortly after that. The duckbill will be mounted by me later on after giving the paint even more time to cure. Looking forward to taking some photos of the completed car!

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

New remanufactured alternator from Honda

New rear emblem modified and ready to mount to new trunk

Perma-Grit dremel bits for carbon fiber trimming

Willl use these to trim the diffuser.

More progress on MoTeC C125 dash design, adding more modules

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

TODA Racing crank pulley set and timing chain tensioner

Will be installing the new alternator once the car is back from the paint shop and got the TODA pulley kit to install at the same time, as well as the TODA TCT. I purchased the idler and tensioner pulleys from ASM from GoTuning as well when I was in L.A. so will installing the full set.

Return to “Projects”