o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Permission to engage...

andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

08-02-2013

In better news..

Spoon Rigid Collars installed and tested!

Happily repping the RIGI-COLA after an excellent shakedown test.

Obviously all of the changes I have made on my car are for the ladies. Check out these brake pads girl.. This brake fluid has a wet boiling point so high you wouldn't even believe.. My subframe and chassis are securely fastened to one another.. Ahh yeaaaah.

This really is an interesting and rather simple modification you can now make to almost any car, and to put it simply I am extremely impressed! The total cost of parts and install can be rather expensive if you don't do the work yourself and of course you should do an alignment afterwards as your subframes will now be in their proper position if they had shifted slightly over time. I purchased the rigid collars through my friend Anish at speed-freaks.net because he always gets me the best price, fast shipping, and makes great recommendations. I dropped my car off at a great local shop (BlackTrax, very active in the S2ki community) who did the subframe collar install for me, and arranged for a fresh alignment at a nearby alignment shop (Auto Innovations). I had them do another fresh OE alignment with camber at F -0.5 R -1.5 and standard caster and toe. Unsurprisingly my front right alignment had shifted quite a lot after putting the right side wheels off over a curb with a somewhat steep drop off. The same off that caused a puncture in the right rear tire. The front left now had some toe-in and was at -1.4 camber. Definitely explains why my car got very oversteer happy into left hand corners as that session went on.

Here are some additional pictures of the collars and some I was given permission to use to show the rigid collars in place on a removed subframe:

Normal driving

With the collars installed and alignment freshened up I drove home and went out of my way to drive the same route I take home from work everyday to test how the car felt on route I know very well just driving normally commuting home. It isn't a long commute and there are plenty of spots with bumps I know very well, and parts of the freeway have some pretty intense ripples. The difference was immediately apparent. The most noticeable difference when first driving the car was the lack of high frequency vibration when going over rough surfaces. The feel is still excellent but those odd vibrations that would sort of dampen the steering feel and the seat of the pants feel were now gone. Even better, the suspension now seems to be more compliant and stable over larger bumps as well, even under normal driving conditions. I would liken it to the feeling of installing additional bracing on the car, but the subframe collars effect the entire car quite noticeably rather than just one particular end. Going over train tracks (which I do every single day before entering my apartment garage) is a scenario where the different is very apparent. Again any harsh high frequency vibration is gone, and you are left with a solid feeling through the wheel and the seat of the car going over the gaps.

Spirited driving

So definitely a nice improvement in the feel under normal commuter driving, how about during more spirited driving? Today I went out and did my usual shakedown route through the mountains. This is a route I have taken hundreds of times in this car and I know nearly every little bump on the surface of the road. It is a route that has everything. Smooth high speed sections, high speed corners with bumps in the middle, low speed rough sections, highs speed sections into mid speed corners with rough braking zones, flat out high speed corners, and also a tabletop jump. About halfway through the run I tossed the car into a low speed hairpin, the rear end stepped out nicely, and I screamed with joy because the feedback I got from the car was incredible. It is amazing how a slight increase in feel can make the car that much more enjoyable to drive, but wow I am impressed. Also, the car seems to move much less when going over larger bumps at high speed. There is a very high speed left hander that has a large bump in the middle that I would usually need to slightly lift for. Without a partial lift, the car would get very light in the rear and even shift over slightly in the lane. Now I can take the bump flat and the car is completely stable. Not only does the car seem to be moving less over large bumps, it really seems to allow the suspension and tires to settle just that tiny bit more quickly. I was really impressed with the increased feel whenever the tires were at their limit, either under turn in, or when sliding the car around. I even made sure to do a few nice donuts around a local stop sign and even did a standing launch in the car. It is so easy to feel what the rear tires are doing now, the tire feel is no longer dampened by other vibrations in the car.

Conclusion and summary = :D :thumbup:

Very very pleased. I wanted to add the rigid collars specifically to be able to handle certain types of roads more effectively and reduce some of the harshness in the feedback and they have done exactly that. They also act as insurance that the subframes will remain precisely in place. Not necessarily a major concern, but it seems there are plenty of instances where people's subframe bolts were loose and may have allowed for more play than desirable. This is a relatively expensive modification, with the cost of the collars themselves, the cost of the install (need the proper equipment to drop the subframes), and a fresh alignment. Money very well spent in my opinion though. Anything that increases driving feel at all is worth it in my book, and this is quite an improvement. Of course I will be testing these at the track as well (I will be at Laguna in early September) but honestly a track test isn't required to feel the difference. But increased driving feel = increased confidence in the car which usually = faster lap times. :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
o_O S2000 | Mark I Stage II...

That’s thirty minutes away. I’ll be there in ten.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

08-02-2013

Puma Furio gloves

PIcked up some Puma Furio driving gloves for on-track driving. Especially during the hotter track days your hands can definitely start to get a bit sweaty. Plus I have always wanted some Tsuchiya style red driving gloves for some time. :)

Update:

Decided to give the gloves a test run since i have never driven a normal car wearing driving gloves. Very pleased with these things. Don't get in the way at all, nice simple grippy surface but not too grippy, and very comfortable for long periods of time. :thumbup:

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

08-17-2013

Science of Speed rear rotors

These are actually cheaper than OEM rotors and they have the simple subtle slotting that matches the Girodisc rotors. I feel that the slotted rotors up front have done a nice job of preventing uneven pad deposits and I would like the same for my rear rotors.

Also I have everything squared away with insurance and have an estimate for repairs from a great local body shop to get my hood and all the other damaged components replaced and back to being as good as new. I also get a free rental car while my car is in the shop so the rental car bandit will be making a return. :)

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

08-17-2013

Science of Speed rear rotors

These are actually cheaper than OEM rotors and they have the simple subtle slotting that matches the Girodisc rotors. I feel that the slotted rotors up front have done a nice job of preventing uneven pad deposits and I would like the same for my rear rotors.

Also I have everything squared away with insurance and have an estimate for repairs from a great local body shop to get my hood and all the other damaged components replaced and back to being as good as new. I also get a free rental car while my car is in the shop so the rental car bandit will be making a return. :)

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

08-20-2013

Motul Motylgear and Project µ re-up:

Decided to try out some Motul transmission fluid next time around instead of the Honda MTF2. I don't have any major issues with the Honda stuff, but I am hoping the Motul will last a bit longer. The price isn't much different thanks to the homies at www.speed-freaks.net! As usual thanks again to Anish (http://www.s2ki.com/...41-redlineditr/) for the excellent service. I also decided to stock up on Project µ Club Racer pads so I would have a fresh set for Laguna Seca, and a spare bottle of G-four 335. I love braking and I love this brake fluid. Some people like wheel fitment, I like brake pedal feel. :) If you are considering trying out ATE fluid, spend the extra money and get Project µ, Motul RBF660, Endless RF650, or Castrol SRF instead. Well worth the extra cost in the long run.

Laguna Seca is getting closer! If all goes to plan I will put in some good lap times which means I will get to start up stage II of this build thread. :)

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

08-24-2013

Here are some photos from a recent sanctioned motor sport event I attended last night...

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

08-30-2013

Back to 100% after picking the car up from the body shop yesterday!

Definitely was lucky how minimal the damage was. The body shop did an excellent job (Active Auto Body) and did a great job detailing the car, even fixing some little chips and dings on other parts of the car to my surprise. Since I got my car there has been this little ding right behind on the edge of the gas door, and when filling up the car today I noticed it had disappeared. :) I will definitely be going back to these guys for future body work. :thumbup:

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

08-30-2013

Of course I took the car out today and discovered that a corner on a favorite local road had undergone some pretty glorious renovations. Here is what it looked like a week a go while under construction:

And today it was finished:

No words necessarily really. Just need to add a touch of red and white paint to the curbs and it will be perfect! :)

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

10-21-2013

Ray's Engineering CE28N

I was waiting to get the flat center caps in so I could show these beauties off in their full glory:

The CE28N is by far my favorite wheel for the S2000, so I was extremely happily when I came across a set in my favorite color as well. These wheels will be properly put to use so I decided to start with the standard S2000 fitment 17x7.5+50 and 17x9+63. I also decided to stick with a staggered setup initially as I start into the suspension to see what the potential is before moving to a square setup.

Mark II should begin sometime early next year. :) I will be going to two more track days this year (Thunderhill and Buttonwillow) with the car in it's current form and then the fun begins!

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

10-30-2013

Updated my alignment with a tiny bit more camber up front.

Camber: F= -1.6 R= -2.0
Caster: 6.5
Rear Total Toe-in: 0.12in (1/8th) I think I will try 0.06in (1/16th) next time depending on how I like the current setup and see if I can get a bit more camber up front.

New alignment impressions:

f@#king mega. My last alignment was not exactly precise, because I had to take it to a shop I don't usually go to, and they didn't dial everything in exactly to my specs. I ended up with a bit more rear camber than I wanted so I was getting a bit of understeer in low speed corners. Decreasing rear toe-in with a bit more negative camber up front and more caster has made a significant difference in the way the car performs at lower speeds! Much easier to rotate the car now but still very stable. I can definitely see why all the auto-x guys max out their caster now. I am not maxed out, but for me this is a perfect balance of turn in grip, steering weight, and stability. :thumbup:

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

10-31-2013

Alpine CDE-HD149BT:

I was stuck in traffic today on my way home from work and was going by the car stereo shop that helped me fix my stereo issues when I first bought the car. So I stopped by and checked out the Alpine CDE-HD149BT that I have had my eyes on for a little while since it has amber lighting that matches the S2000 much better than my current all blue Alpine CDE-117. 30 minutes after I arrived at the shop I was back in my car playing around with my new stereo. :D

Definitely a step up all around from my old head unit. Same great sound, easy to tune (even easier with the iOS app), better quality buttons, display, volume knob, and most importantly I can make it amber. I didn't bother with the bluetooth microphone it comes with as I don't like unnecessary things in my car, but audio over bluetooth works great with the iPhone and is very quick to load and responsive. I wish I could just by a really simple version of this head unit that has the exact same display and features, but gets rid of the CD player, radio tuner, and what not. I only need to be able to listen to things through my phone. Maybe after the warranty is up I will see if I can take it back into the shop and have them gut it. :LOL:

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

11-03-2013

Making friends..

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

11-08-2013

I wonder what these are for?

:D

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

11-13-2013

Here is an update on my Girodisc rotors with revised rings after full day at Laguna Seca (6, 20 minute sessions, 75F) running 1'48s with everything on the car stock except the rotors, Project µ Club Racers F+R, Project µ brake fluid, Spoon Rigid Collars, and Bridgestone RE-11A 225/255 on stock wheels with custom alignment.

Right

Left

No signs of any cracks or anything developing and I would say these rings have been put through more abuse than the originals which I used for 3000 miles or so (including a track day at Thunderhill), the current revised rings have done a little over 2000 miles now of hard street driving and the Laguna track day and are showing very little wear and the previous issue appears to be completely resolved. Both sets of rings used only Project µ Club Racer pads on the track and street. :thumbup:

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

11-13-2013

Also in preparation for upcoming track days at Thunderhill (Nov. 17th) and Buttonwillow (Nov. 29th) I had fresh Club Racer pads installed all around, along with Science of Speed rear rotors since my rear rotors were finally getting a bit worn out. The Club Racers I removed had done about 2500 miles on the front pads (with ~60% life remaining), and 5500 on the rear pads (~50%) so it looks like I should be able to get around 5000 miles on the front pads and 10000+ miles on the rear pads. I will store the old pads for when these fresh ones run out of course, but I wanted to have nice meaty pads on the car for both track days and to bed-in the new rear rotors. I decided on the Science of Speed rotors because they have similar slotting to my Girodisc fronts, and they are actually cheaper than OEM rear rotors.

Front pad wear after 2500

Rear pad wear after 5500

With my first set of front Club Racer pads, I only got around 3500 miles out of them including the brutal 105+F track day at Thunderhill, and my usual routine of weekend touge driving. I had though the slotted rotors might have something to do with this, but it looks like it was almost all to do with the brutal super hot Thunderhill track day. Laguna Seca is MUCH harder on brakes than Thunderhill and I was not going easy on them at all, but the temperature was much more reasonable at 70-75F. So this wear rate is very promising.

Anyone else looking to try out the Club Racer pads, you shouldn't use my wear as what you should expect with your own usage. I would imagine most people would get twice the life from these pads. I wouldn't recommend them for normal daily driven street use of course (cold track pads wear out really fast since they work best when they are up to temp) unless you regularly drive your car as hard as you would on the track on the street. I really don't have any reason to try out any other pads for the track, these in combination with the front rotors and Project µ fluid and I am extremely happy with my brake setup. I do want to try to bring in some Endless pads to test out, they are very expensive, but I am curious too see what sort of life I could get out of them compared to the Project µ.

Return to “Projects”