o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Permission to engage...

Kram
5000rpm
United States of America

These photos give a basic idea of how low the rear of the seat is able to sit.
Hey man, long time lurker/follower of your build. I'm currently mimicking your setup with the lap belt as I've found your method is the cleanest way to accommodate an aftermarket seat. (Sparco QRT-Rs in the mail now!)

It looks like the PCI rails that I ordered are a slightly revised version of yours, and I'm starting to think that the mounting point hole on mine is slightly smaller.

I wanted to double check the orientation that you have the Schroth SR S65 sleeves. It doesn't seem to slide neatly inside the Schroth lap belt bracket hole, or in the PCI mounting hole. It is supposed to slide inside the PCI bracket hole, correct? Hope I'm making sense.

Here's a quick photo to illustrate my issue:

If the PCI mounting hole is indeed smaller, then it looks like I will need to widen ever so slightly it to accommodate the sleeve.

Thanks!

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Kram wrote:

These photos give a basic idea of how low the rear of the seat is able to sit.
Hey man, long time lurker/follower of your build. I'm currently mimicking your setup with the lap belt as I've found your method is the cleanest way to accommodate an aftermarket seat. (Sparco QRT-Rs in the mail now!)

It looks like the PCI rails that I ordered are a slightly revised version of yours, and I'm starting to think that the mounting point hole on mine is slightly smaller.

I wanted to double check the orientation that you have the Schroth SR S65 sleeves. It doesn't seem to slide neatly inside the Schroth lap belt bracket hole, or in the PCI mounting hole. It is supposed to slide inside the PCI bracket hole, correct? Hope I'm making sense.

Here's a quick photo to illustrate my issue:

If the PCI mounting hole is indeed smaller, then it looks like I will need to widen ever so slightly it to accommodate the sleeve.

Thanks!
I slide mine into the Schroth bracket. It is a fairly tight fit, and I found that Schroth actually makes 2 variants of their lap belt replacements so it’s possible you got the one with the slightly smaller holes. Let Schroth know and they should be able to get you the correct one.
o_O S2000 | Mark I Stage II...

That’s thirty minutes away. I’ll be there in ten.

Kram
5000rpm
United States of America

I slide mine into the Schroth bracket. It is a fairly tight fit, and I found that Schroth actually makes 2 variants of their lap belt replacements so it’s possible you got the one with the slightly smaller holes. Let Schroth know and they should be able to get you the correct one.
Ah, got it. I gave Schroth a call this afternoon and they actually said they only have 1 size for the lapbelt, so it looks like they quietly changed the sizing. He tested a few sleeves but could not figure out something that fit while on the phone, so I was told I'll get a call tomorrow on how we can sort it out. He was thinking of recommending me to get the B23A kit https://www.schrothracing.com/products/ ... ckets#2837 since it also uses 7/16 style bolts, but he wants to double check first since he didn't have it in stock at the moment. I'll post an update on the setup they recommend for me.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Kram wrote:
Ah, got it. I gave Schroth a call this afternoon and they actually said they only have 1 size for the lapbelt, so it looks like they quietly changed the sizing. He tested a few sleeves but could not figure out something that fit while on the phone, so I was told I'll get a call tomorrow on how we can sort it out. He was thinking of recommending me to get the B23A kit https://www.schrothracing.com/products/ ... ckets#2837 since it also uses 7/16 style bolts, but he wants to double check first since he didn't have it in stock at the moment. I'll post an update on the setup they recommend for me.
Yeah so I already explained this issue to them.

There are two versions of the brackets used for the lap belt replacements.

B23A, with 12.2mm wide hole
B23B, with 12.8mm wide hole

The B23B 12.8mm wide version is needed for use with those sleeves.

Try sending them this info and see if they can sort it out. I had to wait for them to get more in from Germany when I showed them this. I spoke with Mackena Bell at Schroth USA if that helps. (mackena AT hmsmotorsport.com)

Hope that helps, I though they were planning on only using the B23B version from now on but looks like that might not be the case. I updated my original post to mention this in regards to using this with the sleeves. Please let me know if they are able to get you sorted on on this.

Kram
5000rpm
United States of America

andrewhake wrote:
Kram wrote:

Try sending them this info and see if they can sort it out. I had to wait for them to get more in from Germany when I showed them this. I spoke with Mackena Bell at Schroth USA if that helps. (mackena AT hmsmotorsport.com)

Hope that helps, I though they were planning on only using the B23B version from now on but looks like that might not be the case. I updated my original post to mention this in regards to using this with the sleeves. Please let me know if they are able to get you sorted on on this.

Thanks for the info, this is incredibly helpful.

I spoke to Makena Bell a week ago and she told me they actually discontinued the B23B - she can't even find it in their database to ship it from Germany, which is a huge bummer. She told me their B23C, has a 13mm wide mounting hole and would fit the sleeve, but that mount is for a 3 inch belt and not really for the application we're going for. I spoke to Cody today and was referred to Billy, who is their Technical Director (and from what I'm told, the end-all be-all in terms of figuring out a proper solution) and will give me a call back tomorrow to work out a solution. For now I've just been running the setup sans pivot sleeve, since the bracket doesn't really pivot because the PCI rails move with the seat. It's less than ideal, but it does the job for now.

I see, definitely let me know where they end up. And yeah as you mentioned ti isn't the end of the world if it doesn't pivot with the PCI mount setup but strange that they would discontinue the version that fits the sleeve.

Kram
5000rpm
United States of America

Kram wrote:
andrewhake wrote:
Kram wrote:

Thanks for the info, this is incredibly helpful.

I spoke to Makena Bell a week ago and she told me they actually discontinued the B23B - she can't even find it in their database to ship it from Germany, which is a huge bummer. She told me their B23C, has a 13mm wide mounting hole and would fit the sleeve, but that mount is for a 3 inch belt and not really for the application we're going for. I spoke to Cody today and was referred to Billy, who is their Technical Director (and from what I'm told, the end-all be-all in terms of figuring out a proper solution) and will give me a call back tomorrow to work out a solution. For now I've just been running the setup sans pivot sleeve, since the bracket doesn't really pivot because the PCI rails move with the seat. It's less than ideal, but it does the job for now.
I see, definitely let me know where they end up. And yeah as you mentioned ti isn't the end of the world if it doesn't pivot with the PCI mount setup but strange that they would discontinue the version that fits the sleeve.
So I spoke to Billy this morning and he said the sleeve actually isn't needed - he described how these lap-belt replacements are typically bolted to the floor and bent to the desired orientation. From there, the belt sewn into the larger bracket hole is actually the part that is designed to pivot. So to have a sleeve in the smaller part would be redundant. He says as long as the mounting point (smaller side) is bolted down tight and oriented in the right direction, I should be good to go. This makes sense in my head and would explain why they discontinued the larger B23B version, so I'll roll with it.

Thanks for all your help on this again, it is much appreciated.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Kram wrote: So I spoke to Billy this morning and he said the sleeve actually isn't needed - he described how these lap-belt replacements are typically bolted to the floor and bent to the desired orientation. From there, the belt sewn into the larger bracket hole is actually the part that is designed to pivot. So to have a sleeve in the smaller part would be redundant. He says as long as the mounting point (smaller side) is bolted down tight and oriented in the right direction, I should be good to go. This makes sense in my head and would explain why they discontinued the larger B23B version, so I'll roll with it.

Thanks for all your help on this again, it is much appreciated.
Gotcha. Yeah makes sense to me especially with the PCI mount. When bolted up it is very unlikely that the bracket will pivot as long as it is angled correctly when mounted.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

New OEM arms with Kingpin spherical compliance + Spoon rear toe arms

Still alive! It's been awhile since I have posted an update on the forums so figured I would do one. Let's start with some suspension bits.

On the suspension side I have got new OEM arms with Kingpin spherical compliance bearings on the front lower arms. As well as Spoon rear toe arms.

The spherical compliance bearings definitely provide a nice increase in front end feel without much of an increase in harshness. The Spoon rear arms are a bit more beneficial on AP1 rear geometry but still provide the ability to make some adjustments to the rear toe curve. So the ability to make adjustments if needed was the motivation there while updating the arms all around.

New Girodisc rotor rings

Girodisc made some updates to their rotor ring for the S2000 with new metallurgy. My rings were in need of replacement so got the new rings, and decided to apply some brake temp paint to them as well.

Will be interesting to see how these new rings hold up. I put some rest Endless CC40 (ME20) pads on with them which feel great as always.

I also got one of Girodiscs fancy brake piston spreaders after watching 24hrs of LeMans and getting inspired haha.

Top Fuel brake cooling scoops

Another interesting brake bit are these dry carbon brake cooling scoops that mount to the damper lower mount position and the lower front arms. I haven't installed these yet as I have been waiting to do fresh hubs and remove the dust shields at the same time. I may have a few other things planned for the front suspension bits but these should go on soon.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Amuse Euro-S 70mm exhaust installed

I took the car to the good people of TrackSpec Autosports to help with the 70mm Amuse exhaust install. I was so happy that Amuse was willing to make a 70mm variant of this exhaust, exactly what I had always wanted.

As I have shown previously, it isn't a simple install since the exhaust wasn't designed to fit with the US 06+ floor plan. I decided to get an EVS 70mm test pipe as well as their HFC to modify to allow for good exhaust fitment. Son at TrackSpec (now at Zero Auto Factory in socal) was able to modify the HFC and TP and even made a jig that I can use in the future if needed. It basically just requires cutting the tp near the rear flange and slightly modifying the outlet angle. We were able to get the exhaust to fit spot on.

And one of the best parts is running in the exhaust.

Absolutely love the way the 70mm exhaust sounds with the HFC. Really great balance of engine and exhaust sound. I have ran this exhaust for 4000+miles now with no issues.

Corner balance!

I had Son at TrackSpec also do a corner balance.

With 190lbs in the passenger seat, the car weighs 2816lbs, which means it is 2626lbs! Still a few different ways to save even more weight, would be amazing to get the car under 2600lbs with 1/4 tank of gas.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Of course I have also taken plenty of random photos of the car.

And also spent plenty of time driving.

I even spoke to the local park rangers about donuts. :rev: :writing: :slap:

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

I have also had plenty of encounters with other interesting cars.

Including the nicest Honda S600 I have ever seen. :heart:

Then the car was driven and washed some more and more.

I put on the black oil cap with gold coin.

Parked the car many times.

And drove the car many times.

And washed the car many times.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Updated Shorai battery

Shorai made some small changes to their 36LP batter so I decided to upgrade. My previous one got lightly shorted on accident and one of the cells wasn't holding a charge properly. Not really the fault of the battery though, just carelessness with an Allen wrench near the terminals.. :hondawave:

I put some gold heat tape on the back to "protect" the battery from heat. (Because I think it looks cool).

Took some photos of my new valve covers so I can 3D model them in the future.

Parked the car many more times.

Mugen foldable storage boxes

Got some nice Mugen foldable boxes! The two small ones fit nicely in the trunk.

Ray's CE28N Ti Gunmetal 17x9.5+47

I also got some TiGunmetal CE28Ns, in the usual size of course. These aren't for the silver S2000 but for a future S2000. :)

After getting the new CEs I was inspired to take another look at my current CE28N 3D model I had made.

And realized it wasn't very accurate. So I decided to remake the entire thing!

MUCH more accurate now after doing a photogrammetry scan and remodeling the main center portion and the spokes. I also did some controllable brake dust layers as well.

And on the topic of computer graphics. My dream finally came true and I was able to find a way to pull the S2000 model out of Gran Turismo 6 for reference for my own 3D model. The GT6 S2000 is the only one in any game that I consider to be reasonably accurate at all. The model in Forza is absolutely horrific, and all the other models out there are even worse than that.

(the model shown here has some of the GT6 mod parts like a front splitter and some little canards.)

And of course that means the GT1 S2000 was also available for reference. :)

It's a long process but I am still working on a really elaborate 3D model of the S2000. Mainly just for my own personal use and testing. As a vfx artist it is always good to have never ending projects to keep you fresh on all the different skill sets, so this is a great one for me as it combines my interests.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

And to finish it up, I accidentally became the leader of an S2000 gang at work.

Got some fresh fluids and had TrackSpec take a quick look over the car.

Grace at TrackSpec noticed my front J's balljoint was leaking a bit so I got a new boot ordered.

Parked the car a few more times.

And got a new OEM windshield!

I also had my friend Jason at Carzwerk install Clearplex protective film on the windshield. It will be interesting to see how it holds up. It is pretty expensive to install but less than installing a new windshield, so might be a good way to protect it for a bit longer. My previous windshield hadn't developed any cracks luckily but was quite heavily pitted so I felt like it was a good time to get a fresh one. I feel more complete now that I have OEM Honda glass on the car.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

I do apologize for getting worse at documenting and posting everything as it happens. If you want more regular updates I would recommend following me on Instagram - http://instagram.com/andrewhake/

Honda S2000 Service Manual 2nd Edition

I already have had a 2000-2006 S2000 Service Manual ever since I have owned the car, but I decided I wanted to get a 2000-2008 manual with intentions of having it professionally scanned and OCR'd so I could use it digitally on my iPad and have it fully indexed and searchable. To my surprise I found someone had already already posted this up online at some point last year. (viewtopic.php?f=84&t=848)

I did however order the manuals anyway from Helm, and they actually sent me the 2000-2009 2nd Edition, which I didn't even know existed. It has a less useful outer cover, but the pages are actually much thicker with nicer printing. I feel more complete again having the full S2000 encyclopedia of every model made.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

K1 Labs dry carbon heat shield

Awhile back I got a nice dry carbon heat shield from K1 Labs in Japan. Haven't had the chance to install yet but should go on soon. Put on some gold foil heat tape but may have to switch to some of the thicker silver stuff that can withstand even more heat.

The K1 Labs part is really nice. The OEM heat shield has some odd rippling and things from the factory due to the way it is stamped and this piece is made from that, so it has some of that rippling as well, but the quality of the carbon is very nice. 188g lighter than the OEM heat shield so saves around .4 lb.

Return to “Projects”