o_O S2000 | Mk I — Stage II

Permission to engage...

andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

PCI slider mount for driver's side AP2 (06+) + Schroth Racing OEM belt mount

Just got one of the last parts of my new seat mount setup after PCI redesigned their S2000 mounts to be a little simpler and a more refined design. The rear section of the mount was opened up and simplified with a nice triangulated cross design to keep it just as sturdy. They also introduced a new side mount designed specifically for use with the Recaro Pole Position with finer adjustment points in the rear so the seat can sit a bit lower. In the photos you can see the new Pole Position side mount by lookin at the one with 2 columns of holes in the rear. That shape of the rear of the mount is also a bit different because the Pole Position rear mounts are very close to other parts of the seat. Obviously you would run the same side mounts on each side, I just took the photos with both mounted to show the differences.

Schroth Racing OEM seat belt mount setup

I have also been ordering a bunch of different parts from Schroth Racing to figure out a better solution for attaching an OEM style belt receptacle to the seat mount. Right now I just use an extender and bolt that directly to the seat mount. It works great and is probably quite safe as the bolt going through the male connector of the seat belt extender doesn't leave any play. In the couple of years I have used this setup it has never come loose. Obviously though that seat belt extender is designed to clip into an existing OEM receptacle, so I found a better solution that has been properly load and safety tested by people that know what they are doing.

Schroth sells individual replacement lap belts for their harnesses that have a nice amount of length and already have a bolt on attachment point sewn into the webbing. They also sell brackets meant to attach end fittings and connectors as well as provide length adjustment. Using those two parts combined with the OEM style receptacle from one of my spare seat belt extenders I was able to come up with a nice adjustable solution that is setup exactly like the adjustable lap belts Schroth sells with their various harness kits.

(the LV10 bracket isn't fully wrapped in this photo to better show how it mounts, to finish wrapping it you would weave the webbing through the bracket one more time, the wrapping instructions can be seen here - https://www.schrothracing.com/docs/3-bar-slide-wrap.pdf)

Here are the various parts I used:

SIDE BELT REPLACEMENTS - Black - (SR 01120) - https://www.schrothracing.com/products/ ... parts#1614

(Note: I had to remove the small bit of stitching on the folded loose end of the webbing to properly fit through the receptacle and LV10 bracket, very easy to remove the stitching with any normal stick removal tool, I happened to have one from this little kit I bought a long time ago.)

3 BAR SLIDE (LV10) - https://www.schrothracing.com/products/ ... lides#2475

OEM style seat belt receptacle (removed seat belt webbing from extender purchased from 4extender.com, any good extender should work fine, the receptacle from these particular extenders work well because they are quite short)

Mounting hardware:
-7/16-20 bolt, 20 to 25mm length should work well Schroth actually sells nice hardware and washers on their site - https://www.schrothracing.com/products/ ... -eye-bolts
(In the photos I am using hardware I got from Fastenal.com) I would recommend getting the 25mm bolt and washers from Schroth when you get everything else. I used the Schroth 25mm bolts for mine.

-Schroth Racing SR S65 sleeves (SR S65) - https://www.schrothracing.com/products/ ... n-brackets - These allow the mount to pivot at the mounting point when mounted properly with a washer, they can be pushed into the mounting bracket from one side and should sit up against the side mount, with a washer on the other side.

NOTE:

There are two versions of the brackets used for the lap belt replacements.

B23A, with 12.2mm wide hole
B23B, with 12.8mm wide hole

The B23B 12.8mm wide version is needed for use with those sleeves.
You may need to mention this directly to Schroth USA or whichever vendor to make sure you get one that works with the sleeves.

-7/16-20 narrow nut (these will be included with the PCI seat mounts)

You should mount everything like this from outside in: Schroth Racing 25mm bolt -> 7/16-20 washer -> side mount -> Schroth Racing sleeve -> Schroth Racing lap belt bracket -> 7/16-20 washer -> 7/16-20 nut.

Something nice about the hardware Schroth sells on their site is the bolt head is slimmed down compared to a normal hex or flange bolt, so it probably won't catch on the transmission tunnel carpet area as much as a larger head bolt. (I am not using this hardware in the photos here because it hasn't arrived yet.)

To mount the seat mount to the car you will obviously just use the OEM seat mount bolts that hold in the stock seat, and for mounting the side mounts to your seat you will need M8 x 1.25mm bolts and some M8 washers. Bolt length will depend on whether or not you use the include nylon spacers (Recaro Pole Position will require them), but 20mm, 25mm, or 30mm length will likely be what you need).

I will post up once I have installed everything into the car. You could definitely use a different combination of their various mounts and brackets to come up with a great solution for your particular setup. You could mount the seat belt receptacle directly to the floor of the car using a backing plate from scroth, or even mount eyebolts with snap on style brackets which the also sell. I recommend checking on their site and take a look at the instructions they provide to find a solution you think will work best for your setup.

I personally can't really recommend any other mounts besides the PCI with all the various mounts I have seen for the S2000. The idea here is that the OEM 3 point belt with be installed so it it goes through the lap belt holes of the bucket seat and can sit properly across both sides of your hips. These are the only ones that have ever offered a reasonable place to mount a receptacle properly to do this. Every other mount just assumes you will mount the OEM S2000 fixed receptacle designed for the reclining seats somewhere to the side of your seat, which makes no sense for a bucket seat. If you look at any sports car with a proper bucket seat you can see they all design the receptacle to fit through the side of the seat so it can properly sit across your hips. This mount combined with the non-slider version of the passenger rail should help save a few more pounds and let me sit my seats just a little bit lower which is great for anyone over 6 feet tall. Looking forward to getting everything mounted up!
o_O S2000 | Mark I Stage II...

That’s thirty minutes away. I’ll be there in ten.

initiald3s
6000rpm

Is the seatbelt light/chime just always on since this buckle doesn't have the OEM wiring?

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

initiald3s wrote:Is the seatbelt light/chime just always on since this buckle doesn't have the OEM wiring?
I just completely removed the OEM seatbelt receptacle and disconnected it and I didn't get any alerts/chimes on my 2006 AP2. Might be different on older models though. You could always zip tie the OEM receptacle up under the seat with a seat belt plug in it with it connected if there are issues on some models.

initiald3s
6000rpm

Good to know. I have an 07 so should be the same.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

PCI passenger seat mounts installed

I installed the passenger side mount first. I decided to get these new mounts because the new passenger side mount design includes a redesigned 1-piece base with built in seat belt mounts on both sides to accommodate the way the 06+ S2000 passenger seats are setup. I listed all the different parts and hardware used for the Schroth lap belt setup in the previous post.

For the passenger side, I decided to use the "fixed" mounts that PCI calls their adjustable mount. This mount is adjustable by loosening the side mounts where they attach to the base. When using the Pole Position the adjustment bolts aren't really accessible so the base and everything needs to be removed from the car to adjust. With narrower seats the side mounts could be flipped to likely allow for adjustment with everything still in the car and some extensions. I never have any need to adjust the position of the passenger seat, so to save weight I went for this type. These are actually 4.7lbs lighter than the previous mount setup I had with sliders on the passenger side.

Here is the previous setup. The base on this is actually 2-piece so much trickier to install and setup compared to the single piece base on the new design. These side mounts also only allowed for a single rear position height with the Pole Position. You can also see how the seat belt extender was mounted to the base at a slightly compromised angle.

And the new mounts with the Schroth racing lap belt/OEM style receptacle setup. This mount puts the seat belt mount in a much nicer spot and is all just integrated directly into the base which is really cool. It is a CNC laser cut and bent base so it is extremely sturdy.

Here you can see the way the Schroth lap belt is wrapped and mounted. I am using a Schroth 7/16-20 x 25mm mounting bolt, Schroth mounting sleeve (which is pushed into the silver mounting bracket the webbing is sewn into), and washers on each side and nut. It is mounted like this from the outside in: Bolt, washer, side mount, Schroth sleeve, Schroth mounting bracket, washer, nut. This allows the mounting bracket to pivot on the sleeve and align itself when a small amount of force is applied.

Because of the direction I wrapped the bracket, it also provides some tension to keep the receptacle up in the seat rather than falling down like when just using a seat belt extender. So no fishing the receptacle from under neath when getting into the seat.

Extremely happy with how I was able to get everything to fit into the car. To the limit of how it could fit in the car with no rubbing or clearance issues. So much easier to install with the 1 piece base. I just installed everything on the mount, with the side mounts loosely installed on the base. Mounted the seat in the car, making sure all the bolts were in place in the base to keep it from shifting. Got into the seat, and shifted it around and as far back as I could. I was able to slide the seat all the way back to the point of it being right up against the back of the cockpit. I moved it just forward enough from that point to where it wouldn't be contacting anything, and then got out of the seat and tighten up the front side mount bolts to lock the positioning into place. After that I just had to remove the seat from the car, remove the rear bolts that hold the seat to the side mount so I could rotate it up and tighten down the rear side mount bolts to the base. So with the seat position all locked in place it is just a matter of tightening everything back up in installing back into the car.

In my case I put the seat at 4/5 on both the front and rear of the side mounts. 4 was the lowest position the Pole Position could sit at the rear of the mount, which puts the rear of the seat on the floor, the front could be adjusted however you like but keeping it at the same position worked well to recline the seat the correct amount. The PCI mounts will include some 1/4" side mount spacers you will need to use when mounting a Pole Position to properly clear everything.

You will definitely need some extensions when installing the inside rear bolt on the base and for the other bolts. I also used a little magnetic extender arm to place the inside rear bolt, and of course a good light. You will also need to make sure the shoulder portion of the seat belt is passed through the outside harness hole and then mounted properly to the base before mounting the seat back into the car. If you forget to do this you will have to remove the seat from the car again to do it. The PCI mounts should include the 7/16-20 nut needed to mount the seat belt to the base. I had many available as I put in a Fastenal order for the M8 bolts used to mount the seat to the side mounts as well as washers and other things. If anyone has question about the hardware needed check my previous post or feel free to ask.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

PCI driver's side slider seat mount installed

A few days later I got the new driver's side seat mount installed. This new design was something Rogue Motorsports worked with PCI on to better accommodate wider seats like the Pole Position and allow them to sit as low as possible while still being extremely strong, if not even stronger than the previous base with some more triangulation. They also worked up some new Pole Position specific side mounts that allow the rear of the seat to be mounted much lower than before. The weight between the two is basically the same with the sliders and everything mounted. For me having sliders in the driver's seat is still a necessity as my car will be worked on my shops and mechanics that aren't as tall asI am at 6'2". If you want to save as much weight as possible and don't care about having sliders than the adjustable mount is the way to go.

Again here is the previous version I had installed. Like the passenger side, the Pole Position had to be installed on the highest setting in the rear. These side mounts are also shorter than the new style side mounts just like the old passenger side. So not really ideal for the Pole Position.

Here you can see the new mounts with newly designed side mounts. You can see that the rear of the side mount has staggered mounting holes for more fine tuning. This allows the rear of the seat to sit right on the carpet.

You can see in this photo I am using 4/5 on the front, and 7/10 on the rear. This was the lowest position I could get the rear. At this position the seat is essentially sitting on the carpet. When sitting in the seat and adjusting on the slider, it took a few slides back and forth against the floor to make sliding a bit easier.

These photos give a basic idea of how low the rear of the seat is able to sit.

And again the Schroth lap belt/OEM style receptacle combo is mounted onto the base the same as the passenger side. There is just enough space to use the Schroth 25mm long bolt, with spacer, washers and nut like before. I made sure to push the seat belt mounting bracket all the way up against the side mount to provide as much transmission tunnel clearance as possible. This was another issue with the previous setup. It put the seat belt mounting point right up against the trans tunnel carpet, and would sort of interfere with sliding the seat. Wasn't a major problem but this setup provides much better clearance and easier sliding.

I am extremely happy with the seating position, allowing me to get the rear of the seat even lower than before, and much happier with the position I was able to get the seat setup at. Install was very similar to the passenger side. Mount up everything with the side mounts loose on the base. Get in the seat to position from side to side and at the correct angle, then tighten up the front side mount bolts to lock the position in, then remove everything so you can tighten it all up and then remount in the car. Making sure to pass the seat belt mount through the seat and installing it into the chassis before mounting the seat back in the car.

The only small issue I ran into when mounting the base was with how the seat belt mounts to the chassis on the driver's side. It uses a lot of extra washers that I needed to remove so that the shroud around the belt mounting would fit well with the base. The seat belt mount is still able to pivot around it's mounting point like before, but just doesn't stick out so much this way.

Another thing to keep in mind only if you are quite tall. The inside slider can come into contact with the OEM inside rear base mounting bolt because of how much it sticks up. I decided to get a shorter flange bolt to replace this bolt only to allow the slider to slide back as far as possible. Again though with the slider so far back to the point it comes into contact with this bolt, you have to be pretty tall. If you are 6' or shorter it shouldn't be a problem.

Extremely happy with this setup. It's so nice to get into the seat and have the receptacle not fall down below me. You do need to wrap the lap belt very tightly into the brackets to make it as short as possible to get proper positioning as you can see in my photos, but this process is pretty straightforward. If anyone has any issues or questions when trying to do this with the same parts let me know and I can probably help.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Here are a few photos of the car taken since I have last posted.

The 60mm Amuse Euro 6 is still installed on the car. I should have some time to get the 70mm installed towards the end of this month. The piping on these goes to through a cool cycle of blue to deep purple and slowly back to silver as you run it in more and more. The tip doesn't change color at all because it is anodized not just hit with a torch to heat up the tip.

The car still regularly ventures out into the mountains of course.

And gets driven every day.

And sometimes even washed. I picked up the new foam sprayer from Ammo NYC and his new Frothe formula which works great if you don't have access to a hose for washing. I use this in combination with my normal Optimum No-rinse routine for washing and it is great.

Very easy to get stuck admiring the rear of the car recently..

And of course that side profile. :crazyeyes:

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Spare valve covers

I decided to pick up some spare valve covers and coil pack covers as well as a Mugen oil cap (that I have some other plans for).

This is really just to have the spares. My current valve cover isn't in terrible condition for 125,000 miles but just want to make sure I have certain spare parts before they start to become more difficult to get.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

3C Lab Amuse R1 carbon fiber brake ducts

I still haven't done proper brake ducting on my car because it hasn't been a major issue, and I was also waiting for something like this to come along. 3C Lab in Australia made these for one of their Australian customers and had some additional sets available. Going to work with my friend Son at TrackSpec to get these chassis mounted and paired up with the APR backing plates I have had for awhile now. The inlets on both of these are nearly the same size and should work well together. Will post up more once I have them installed. I prefer to try to chassis mount them so I can retain the mesh over the inlets. I don't want to suck up a bunch of dead leaves into my brake rotors.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

Works Bell 25mm steering wheel spacer

I decided to pick up a Works Bell 25mm steering wheel spacer from Evasive (they had many different sizes in stock) to provide a better driving position. I could easily brake and heel/toe without this, but moving the steering wheel 25mm closer just makes it absolutely perfect for me. This will be completely depending on each driver but for me the S2000 steering wheel always felt like it was too close to the steering column covers. If you are shorter it probably isn't a major issue, but I definitely prefer to have the steering wheel closer to me. This gives me all the knee clearance I could ever dream of. Wish I would have done this a long long time ago. With my next S2000 it will be one of the first things I change for sure. Changed my god damn life.

MUGEN_S2K
5000rpm
Germany

Just joined to ask this question :D :hello:

I couldnt find the exact specs mentioned in this thread for the Pole Position seat with the red jersey/suede trim nor could I find the exact seat on Recaro's page.

- Which version is this (ABE or FIA)?
- Custom trim?
- any part# ?

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

MUGEN_S2K wrote:Just joined to ask this question :D :hello:

I couldnt find the exact specs mentioned in this thread for the Pole Position seat with the red jersey/suede trim nor could I find the exact seat on Recaro's page.

- Which version is this (ABE or FIA)?
- Custom trim?
They are FIA model seats. It's possible that this color way isn't available in all markets maybe? I got mine from Evasive Motorsports in the US.

http://www.evasivemotorsports.com/mm5/m ... ECARO-POLE

It looks like they may have updated it slightly with a larger Recaro logo on top which is annoying haha.

MUGEN_S2K
5000rpm
Germany

andrewhake wrote:
They are FIA model seats. It's possible that this color way isn't available in all markets maybe?
It looks like they may have updated it slightly with a larger Recaro logo on top which is annoying haha.
That's what I thought. Who needs the ABE model in the US anyway :D .

Yes, looks like they updated it but at least the logo is stiched and not just printed.
Time to call my old Recaro college for some discount :lol:

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

S2000 oil cap coins for Mugen oil caps

After seeing one of the Mugen oil caps I got an idea to design a custom oil cap coin with S2000 specific oil weight and design to better fit my own tastes. I initially had some coins made in satin copper finish at 36mm x 3mm but they were a bit too thick. Recently got some made in satin copper, satin nickel, and satin gold finishes in 36mm x 2mm and they are perfect! I really just made these for myself but had to get more than 3 made so I decided to make them available on a newly setup online shop!

https://store.snisen.com

Products will be going live tomorrow morning. Here are some photos of the coins and how they look on the various Mugen oil cap colors that I have. There were designed to fit with this Mugen oil cap: https://www.kingmotorsports.com/p-5370- ... acura.aspx

I really like the silver cap with copper coin, black cap with gold goin, and gold and red caps with the nickel coin.

I based my design off of this Mugen cap that I purchased awhile back. I was going to just make something flat and similar to this but then realized I could get a full on coin made and make it even cooler. The Mugen oil cap coin was based off the OEM oil cap design so I though I could make something that looks fully OEM but just much higher quality.

Topic Author
andrewhake
Admin
United States of America

https://store.snisen.com

More oil cap coins now in stock!

Return to “Projects”