4000rpm
United States of America

The Chronicles of a Sebring Silver AP2

Hi, everyone. My name is Kevin and I'm the happy owner of a MY04 Sebring Silver S2000. I purchased her on the 26th of December from my friend, Josh. An S2000 has been my dream car for, roughly, the last six years. I just completed my bachelor's degree about a month ago and decided it was time to finally pull the trigger. Sebring Silver is my favorite color aside from Imola Orange.

Now, on to more details about the car. The car itself has 147K miles and all ten VIN tags are present and matching. I performed a compression test with the help of another friend for some peace of mind before committing to the purchase; the compression numbers were within spec, so I went ahead and closed the deal. Given that she's a 2004, with a good amount of miles on her, I knew that bringing her maintenance up to date should be my first priority, so that's what I've been working on thus far. I don't know what my end goals are just yet, but I definitely want to get the car setup for reliable fun at the racetrack.

When I purchased her, she had a muffler-deleted OEM exhaust system which I abhorred. I quickly rectified that abomination with a completely stock exhaust system. She also came with an AEM cold air intake installed which I will be swapping out for a stock intake because I don't really care for it and driving in the rain makes me very uncomfortable. The roads in Southern California were not built with much rain in mind, so standing water can become an issue real fast. Overall, she's a little rough around the edges, but that just means I'll be able to enjoy the car with less worries about cosmetic flaws when I put her through her paces.

Exterior/Aero
OEM clear side markers
Moddiction blue-tinted, convex wing mirror glass
Philips Ultinon LED reverse light bulbs (6000 K)
Philips Ultinon LED license plate light bulb (6000 K)

Brakes
Project Mu Club Racer brake pads
Centric Premium brake rotors
Techna-Fit brake line kit
ATE TYP 200 DOT 4 brake fluid
Project Mu brake master cylinder reservoir cover

Suspension
-

Wheels/Tires
TRMotorsport C3 17x9 +62
245/40R17 Sumitomo HTR Z3 (front)
245/40R17 Sumitomo HTR Z3 (rear)
Muteki SR48 lug nuts

Drivetrain
J’s Racing clutch slave cylinder
J’s Racing clutch line
Hasport differential mounts (U70A)
Project Mu clutch master cylinder reservoir cover

Engine
Koyorad radiator
Koyorad radiator cap
Hasport engine mounts (U70A)
ASM oil filter stopper

Interior
Modifry windscreen base plate
Modifry GoPro head
Alpine UTE-73BT digital media receiver
FK8 shift knob
Auto Interior Technic shift boot
Hybrid Racing shift boot collar
Spoon Sports steering boss
MOMO Montecarlo steering wheel (350 mm)
Philips Ultinon LED trunk light bulb (6000 K)
Philips Ultinon LED interior light bulbs (6000 K)
Modifry cup holder

Table of Contents
12/31/2019 - Exhaust hanger bushings, gasket, fuel filler cap, and clear side markers

1/1/2020 - Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance!

1/9/2020 - Fluids and tires

1/16/2020 - Front wheel bearings and wheel studs

1/23/2020 - Koyorad radiator

1/30/2020 - Overhauling the brakes

2/9/2020 - Modifry windscreen mount

4/7/2020 - Hasport engine and differential mounts

4/9/2020 - Keeping busy during COVID-19...

4/17/2020 - Begone, CEL!

5/8/2020 - Alpine UTE-73BT and shifter rebuild

5/14/2020 - Alternator woes?

8/3/2020 - TLC...
Last edited by 1993 on Aug 7th, 2020, 5:22 pm, edited 21 times in total.
S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

12/31/2019

Unfortunately, when we installed the stock exhaust system, we discovered that three of the exhaust hanger bushings were completely missing. The first order of business was to fix that, so I went ahead and installed those bushings. No more lopsided exhaust system for the win. I also took the opportunity to replace the exhaust pipe gasket. Suggested by a friend, I decided to go with the clear side markers over the ambers. To wrap up 2019, I replaced the aftermarket fuel filler cap with an OEM unit. The original OEM fuel filler cap was worn and did not pass inspection during the vehicle's smog check, so Josh went with the quick solution of purchasing a generic cap from the smog check center.

S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

1/1/2020

In an attempt to start off 2020 strong, I replaced a bunch of miscellaneous parts that needed replacing as well as making other adjustments to the car. The windshield washer fluid reservoir cap was replaced along with the cabin air filter, VTEC solenoid gaskets, shift lever flange nut, PCV tube, rear hood seal, serpentine belt, and battery (for an OEM unit). The cabin air filter was probably the worst example I've ever laid eyes upon; it was very satisfying to replace that piece. The serpentine belt had seen better days and was in dire need of replacing. The VTEC solenoid showed evidence of weeping oil, so we replaced the gaskets. I hope this was a sufficient fix because my second option is to replace the complete solenoid unit. Honda doesn't individually sell the upper gasket, so I'm taking a chance with the Ballade Sports gasket. So far, so good. The PCV tube was cracked, so replacing that was an easy fix. The rear hood seal was actually missing, along with numerous clips for the windshield cowl, so I went ahead and purchased the seal. The clips will be ordered and installed in the near future. The windshield cowl had also seen better days, so I took the time to clean it up and apply some dressing; looks heaps better!

Aside from replacing the aforementioned components, the clutch/throttle pedals were adjusted. The throttle cable is showing its age and was a bit loose, so that was rectified. The clutch pedal had quite a bit of slop which was adjusted; it feels much better now. I almost forgot to mention, when I purchased the car, she came with an AP1 flywheel and an aftermarket pressure plate. The clutch disc is OEM.

S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

1/9/2020

I finally got around to changing the engine oil and manual transmission fluid today; it's just something I like to do with every new-to-me vehicle purchase. I opted for Amsoil's Signature Series 10W-30 and Amsoil's Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid. I'm holding off on changing the differential fluid because the seals have seen better days and are awaiting replacement.

I also went ahead and replaced the front tires with a pair of Federal 595RS-RRs to match the rear tires. I'm currently running 215/45R17 tires up front and 245/40R17 tires in the rear. This is, of course, the stock configuration for the AP2 and is something I wanted to familiarize myself with before eventually moving on to a square setup. Naturally, a four-wheel alignment was also completed. When I purchased the car, she was equipped with RS-R lowering springs and, unfortunately, due to the ride height, we were unable to dial back the rear camber.

S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

Directly after my alignment, I met up with a friend, Ryan, aka @hyprpwr, for some photos near Los Angeles.

I can't thank him enough for these awesome photos.

Post-alignment, I've been driving the car, quite often, on windy roads to better understand the driving characteristics of the S2000 (within reason, of course). The Honda Fit I used to own and this S2000 are like night and day. The S2000 is so much more responsive to even the smallest of inputs. The Fit was a lot easier to drive, but the S2000 is more rewarding to drive; this is just my opinion, of course.

With the staggered tires, you can definitely feel the bias towards understeer. I set the car up this way, for the time being, so that I can really take my time to learn the car and develop my skills. I wanted to experience the S2000 as Honda intended before eventually moving on to a square setup. I've driven numerous FR platforms, but none are quite like the S2000; most of these cars were heavier and less "twitchy."
Last edited by 1993 on Jan 27th, 2020, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

1/16/2020

Today's update includes replacing the front wheel studs and front wheel bearings. The reason for the replacement(s) is because one of the lug nuts on the passenger front wheel was cross threaded which resulted in the accompanying wheel stud shearing off upon removal. I took this opportunity to replace all of the wheel studs along with the wheel bearing since it would be a good time. I replaced both front wheel bearings along with the wheel studs on each side just to have both sides matching and fresh. Given my intended usage with this car, I figured it would be good preventative maintenance.

Right after we removed the hub assembly from the car...

Getting ready to remove the wheel bearing from the hub...

I also went ahead and swapped over to black lug nuts; I think they look better than the chrome lug nuts. What do you guys think?

Passenger side all done and black lug nuts installed...

S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

1/23/2020

The OEM radiator looked tired and had seen better days after ~16 years of service, so I went ahead and replaced it with a Koyorad unit. I also have new upper/lower radiator hoses, but I didn't realize the intake manifold needs to be removed in order to remove the existing radiator hoses. I'm going to save the upper/lower hoses for when I replace my intake manifold gasket. The coolant reservoir was starting to show its age as well, so I refreshed that part of the cooling system with a new reservoir, hoses, hose joint and reservoir cap. The look of new parts is so satisfying! 

Nice and shiny!

Opted for the Koyorad radiator cap...

Comparing the Koyorad to the OEM unit...

Snapped this picture before we started pouring in coolant...

S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

1/30/2020

Since the day I bought this car, the brake setup left a lot to be desired. I went ahead and replaced the brake pads, rotors, lines, and bled the brake fluid. For brake pads, I opted for Project Mu's Club Racer. I feel that these brake pads will serve nicely as a dual-duty brake pad; only time will tell. They have a good initial bite, even when cold, which is something I really appreciate having. For brake rotors, I chose Centric Premium discs. I've used them in the past with good results, so that was an easy choice for me. Techna-Fit is my go-to for brake/clutch lines. Their lifetime warranty gives you peace of mind and I love the quality of their lines. They're always fast when it comes to shipping and replying to e-mails. For brake fluid, I went with ATE TYP 200 because that's what we had lying around at my friend's house.

We finished rather late with the install, so, please, excuse this last photo taken with my phone.

S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

2/9/2020

Modifry windscreen mount installed! I've been wanting one of these so I can mount my GoPro and record future track days with ease. I also just purchased an AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR lens for my Nikon D800 and tried it out for the following photos.

Obligatory photo of my Baby Yoda sticker as well...

S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

4/7/2020

Unfortunately, no photos to accompany this update. I just picked up my car from Zero Auto Factory after having them install my Hasport engine and differential mounts. I opted for 70A durometer for both sets of mounts. I also had an issue with my trunk not opening via the key fob/button inside the center console which turned out to be a broken power and ground wire in the wiring harness for the trunk; the wiring for my third brake light was also repaired during this time. Lastly, I had Alan replace my spindle nuts and torque the newly-installed spindle nuts to the correct torque specification. 

I hope everyone is doing alright during these times!  
S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

4/9/2020

Having some extra time on my hands, due to COVID-19, I went ahead and replaced the meter lens assembly and fan knob. Because of the wealth of information and photos available online, I didn't find this task too difficult. The original fan knob was pretty worn and it was an eyesore. The meter lens assembly was replaced because it had a bunch of swirl marks. I'm going to keep the original meter lens assembly and see if I can restore it and keep it as a spare. When I buttoned everything back up, I discovered that a few of my bulbs were dim/had burnt out, so I've gone ahead and ordered replacement bulbs for the meter assembly, heater control(s), and radio remote.

Instrument cluster bezel removed...

Original fan knob; excuse my dirty hand...

New fan knob installed!

New meter lens assembly installed!

Last edited by 1993 on Apr 27th, 2020, 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

4/17/2020

I replaced my spark plugs yesterday. My CEL was on for P0302, P0304, and P1399 codes. 3 out of 4 spark plugs were loose with the spark plug for cylinder #2 being loose to the point where I could spin it without a ratchet attached. I installed new plugs (NGK PFR7G-11S) and torqued them to 24 lbf⋅ft. I then disconnected the battery to clear the trouble codes followed by completing the idle relearn process. I went for a drive and my CEL has remained off, but only time will tell.

Below are pictures of my spark plugs in order of 1-4. As you can see, the spark plug for cylinder #2 had it the worst.

S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

5/8/2020

With the help of a friend, I installed my Alpine UTE-73BT with Modifry DCI. Sound quality, even through the factory speakers, has significantly improved compared to the factory head unit. My front bumper had been missing its grille ever since I purchased the car and I've had a new grille sitting in my room for a few months now, so we went ahead and installed the front bumper grille too. I recently picked up a header heat shield as that was also missing and we went ahead and installed that as well. The last thing on my agenda was to rebuild my shifter which we also knocked out; shifting feels improved and less notchy after the rebuild.

In the process of installing the front bumper grille...

Front bumper grille installed!

Prepping the head unit for installation...

Alpine UTE-73BT digital media receiver installed!

Shifter rebuilt with new change boot holder, change lever ball, lever push spring, and pivot cover...

My buddy was also kind enough to give me his factory shift knob out of his FK8...

I also found a replacement right-rear windshield molding and replaced the original, worn molding. I have sourced a left-rear windshield molding from Japan and ordered that as well.

Much better!

S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

5/14/2020

The left-rear windshield molding arrived in lightning time from Japan so I went ahead and replaced the original molding. Aside from that, my instrument cluster lights have been flickering and I believe the alternator is the culprit after doing some research. My battery is an OEM Honda unit and it is only 2 months old. My battery ground cable was looking janky so that was replaced, but it didn't make any difference in regard to the flickering lights. In other news, I had my headlights restored and ceramic coated yesterday, May 16th, 2020, by Anthony Zichella. If you're in SoCal and in need of headlight restoration, give Anthony a holler and he'll take care of you.

https://www.instagram.com/anthonyofthenorth/

S + miles = Smiles

Topic Author
4000rpm
United States of America

8/3/2020

Lots of updates for the S2000...

I picked up some Moddiction mirrors to help with glare from headlights while driving at night.

I also purchased an ASM oil filter bracket. I tighten my oil filters to spec, but I like the peace of mind with this bracket.

Philips Ultinon LED reverse light bulbs...

Comparison to stock...

Spoon Sports rear-view mirror to complement my Moddiction mirrors...

New cabin air filter housing; the gasket on the original housing was toast! I also replaced all of the windshield cowl clips; some were missing and some were broken.

The original interior light assembly was beat, so I decided to replace that as well.

New parts feel so good!

Philips Ultinon LED light bulbs here as well...

Spark plug tube seals and valve cover gasket kit for my valve adjustment. We found only one exhaust valve, on cylinder two, requiring adjustment; everything else checked out! No news is good news!

Valve cover gasket kit...

Looking good for having almost 160K miles! I've also cleaned my engine bay since this photograph was taken.

I found a really good deal on a new VTEC solenoid and didn't want to pass on it; mine had been seeping oil for the past few months and I wasn't having it any longer...

I love new parts!

Installed...

S + miles = Smiles

Return to “Projects”