Topic author

ap2_mikey
United States of America

Re: Mikey's BB AP2 Dual Duty build

Oct 25th, 2019, 8:12 am

Mugen replica (Ikon Motorsports) front lip 10/25/19
Kinda forgot to update this when I got my car back from the body shop a couple weeks ago. Everything went well, lost my original panels that got hit, but they were replaced with OEM parts. Paint match & blend came out clean.

Now that that's out of the way, I got a new front lip! Yes it is a replica. I'm not baller enough to get a real fiberglass Mugen front lip and I didn't want to cry if I ever scraped it on a driveway. Mounting was pretty simple, some of the holes lined up perfectly, some were off a few cm and needed to be redrilled. I did end up having to drill 4 holes into the bottom of bumper (2 in the center, 2 on the edges). I used the supplied 13mm nuts, bolts & washers it came with and 2 random 10mm bolts I had for the rear mount points.

Overall, not bad for 1/10th the price of the real Mugen lip, not to mention 2 day shipping (purchased Monday morning, received Thursday afternoon). I highly doubt it provides the same "aero benefits" the authentic one does since mine is floppy and the authentic is rigid. I'm hoping that this is my first and final "cheap/replica" part that goes onto my S2000. I just see the front lip as something that'll get scraped up and broken over time from just driving the car everyday, so I can't justify putting a really expensive piece of fiberglass on the lowest point of my car...

Topic author

ap2_mikey
United States of America

Feb 12th, 2020, 11:39 am

Pic dump 11/8/2019
Just dumping some pics that a friend took for me one Friday afternoon.

Last edited by ap2_mikey on Feb 12th, 2020, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author

ap2_mikey
United States of America

Feb 12th, 2020, 12:27 pm

OEM hardtop acquired! 2/10/2020
This took a bit of saving up for and a lot of patience to get. I can't count how many times I came close to just getting a Mugen style top, but something always made me hesitate. Right when I had enough saved up, there was a mystical alignment of the stars and this OEM hardtop just happened to be for sale by some friends of friends. After some thought, some doubt that i'd be able to afford it, and some good old peer pressure, I finally decided to get the top. I didn't really have a plan for picking it up, luckily all the hardware was included and ready to go onto a car. Thankfully, the seller(s) helped me install and adjust the top in less than an hour. The top fit perfect, with the exception of one of the plugs not being compatible due to the top being from an 04 and me having an 06. The top is suzuka blue, wrapped a well matched gloss black. The minor difference in gloss intensity doesn't bother me as much as I thought it would since after about 10 minutes of being outside the car gets coated in random dust and pollen.

I really love how it changes the entire look of the car. The unique shape of of the rear windshield gives it a baby FD look and the OEM spoiler is just icing on the cake. Initially, this was such a hard purchase for me to make because of the amount of money OEM tops cost these days, but after seeing it go onto MY car (and seeing a Mugen & Spoon top in person) I knew it was the best choice for tops for me.
As for my soft top assembly, I think i'll just delete it and restore the interior panels to cut some weight while maintaining the street car look.

United States of America

Feb 12th, 2020, 8:14 pm

Love the OEM hardtop!
S + miles = Smiles

Return to “Projects”